What is back pain?
Back pain is a leading cause of disability worldwide and a common reason for absence from work which includes lower back pain, middle back pain, upper back pain or low back pain with sciatica. Nerve and muscular problems, degenerative disc disease and arthritis can result in back pain. Back pain is associated with the way our bones, muscles and ligaments in our backs work and connect together.
What causes back pain?
The most common causes of back pain are
- Strained muscles
- Strained ligaments
- A muscle spasm
Other causes of back pain include
Back pain can also be the result of some everyday activity or poor posture
- Straining the neck forward such as when driving or using a computer
- Standing for long periods
- Muscle tension
The risk factors known to increase the likelihood of developing back pain include
What are the symptoms of back pain?
The main symptom of back pain is an ache or pain anywhere on the back and sometimes all the way down to the buttocks and legs. Depending on the nerves affected some back issues can cause pain in other parts of the body. Back pain symptoms can include
- Persistent aching or stiffness anywhere along your spine from the base of the neck to the tail bone
- Sharp, localized pain in the neck, upper back, or lower back
- Chronic ache in the middle or lower back especially after sitting or standing for extended periods
- Back pain that radiates from the low back to the buttock, down the back of the thigh and into the calf and toes
- Inability to stand straight without having pain or muscle spasms in the lower back
Back pain treatments at Serene Reflexology
By working on specific foot reflex acupressure points for the spine – and if necessary shoulders and upper back – our registered reflexologist at Serene Reflexology can relieve back pain though Reflexology treatment. For more information please have a look at http://serene-reflexology.com/treatments/reflexology/.
Indian Head Massage
Our therapist will start the Indian Head Massage by applying pressure to points in the upper back, arms and shoulders that will release muscles and knots. Then the Indian Head Massage will move to the neck and head to reduce blockages caused by headache and encourage better circulation of the cerebral fluid. For more information on our Indian Head Massage treatment at Serene Reflexology please have a look at http://serene-reflexology.com/treatments/indian-head-massage/.
Reflexology & Indian Head Massage combined treatment
Serene Reflexology’s combined Reflexology and Indian Head Massage treatments for back pain relief works wonders. You can book a “combo” treatment for back pain relief today using our online booking system below